As I continue editing and filming additional shots, I'm starting to wonder if I planned out too much. While it's not like it's a jam packed opening with too much information, I think I have a couple shots that last too long. Like I've said several times before, the main purpose of this opening is to establish Casey's character, portraying her passion against other's dismissiveness. So of course, I need to show the other character's reaction to her antics. Today I got at least one instance of this, shout out to my mom who played one of these people. I also redid the shot of Casey closing the closet to make it shorter as well as added a new shot walking out the room with binoculars and her notebook. These are decisions and ideas I could only have while editing and seeing how everything is coming together, which is why simultaneously filming and editing is my personal approach to creating something.
Timing is everything!! As most of the opening includes music to match the tone, an important factor I keep in mind while editing is pacing and matching beats. Especially with the second song in the opening, there are many punctual beats that would just be a wasted opportunity if I didn't at least try to use them as pacing. Also, editing using music just makes the product seem more complete in my opinion, like everything is taken into account and connected. Nevertheless, with these recent additions I have realized that I still need to reassess the window shot that will contain the title. While it needs to be relatively lengthy so that the title has enough time to be on screen, it was around 30 seconds. I can't be having this as I'm already getting over the 2 minute limit. I have already edited some of the footage down and now have about 20 seconds for the "interviewing" sequence.

No comments:
Post a Comment