In my opening, props will be essential to establishing Casey's character and the story's tone. Because the opening will not be very dialogue heavy, it's important that the props are used effectively to convey context and information. The two main sequences, the credit/clue board and investigation, will utilize different detective related objects like a magnifying glass and notebook. In addition, I plan to include pop culture references to iconic detective/mystery media to contribute to the lighthearted almost childish tone after the shift from a serious/dramatic one. For instance, besides the obvious Sherlock Holmes books, Jessica Jones is a Marvel comic book character who is actually a private investigator. This makes sense for Casey's character to own as it reveals her romanticized/dramatized perception of investigative work that she takes inspiration from.
The props specific to detective work will similarly develop character. For one, there will be a shot showing what Casey is writing in her notebook as she interviews a possible witness, revealing her internal thoughts. This would also demonstrate how even as other's judge/look down on her, she makes judgements back. Further, the way Casey interacts with these objects, like the Scooby Doo plush, where they are the only things she openly expresses herself with, emphasizes the value and influence detective work has for her. Also, the big flashlight I found seems perfect as it reminds me of those flashlights police/detectives have, I plan to use it in the opening credit sequence as the lighting it provides is great for the initial serious tone. Overall, I'm glad I was able to obtain all of these objects from what I already had in my possession. However, some might end up working more as part of the set design rather than direct props used. Nevertheless, I wanted to take the time to highlight these important objects and how they work for the overarching themes.
-Scooby Doo Plush
-Thumbtacks
-Magnifying glass
-Detective pop culture
-Sherlock Holmes books
-Detective related comics
-Binoculars
-Notebook

No comments:
Post a Comment