Friday, February 21, 2025

Casey

    As you could tell from my last blog post, I've finally decided on a name! No more constant "main character this and that"! By some miracle I ended up reading about how Casey means vigilant/watchful in this baby name article, which is perfect for my opening as it's all about perceptions and how she sees a case where others don't. When thinking about her character, the words persistent, eccentric, and invested come to mind. To be fair, she has to be 'hard headed' in a sense, her intensity outweighing the ridicule and dismissiveness of others. The opening will find Casey in the middle of an ongoing investigation and introduce her eagerness and the conflict she faces.
    As I mentioned in my Prop List post, pop culture has an influential role in the story. Casey's ideas of detective work mainly relate back to early movies/books that inspired her. Despite the seemingly childish, dramatized origin of her passion, these pieces of media actually fuel her investigation. As I went through possible books to include, Batgirl Year One exemplifies the type of text she would refer back to for inspiration. In this graphic novel, Barbara Gordon becomes Batgirl in part because she wasn't able to become a cop like she wanted to. Similar to Casey, her enthusiasm is met with discouragement, so it makes sense for one her idols to be Babs in place of a real detective. The other image I included is from See How They Run. I followed through with watching it for research on Mystery/Comedy and overall it was fine, good idea and aesthetic. To note, Saoirse Ronan's character demonstrates a similar attitude as Casey. I took the picture next to it when I was trying out different costumes and props but it works as a preview of Casey. As the opening presents the contrasting attitudes towards the investigation, it also shows how sometimes people are dismissive towards teenage girl's interests even when there is passion and intelligence behind them. In the complete movie Casey would lead, it would be revealed that she is following a real and important case, but just approached it in a different way than others.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Goose Chase Opening & CCRs!!

 This is it!     Here is how you can access the Goose Chase film opening https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KzF2TxB136UVhf9FCINklVVpzj1FjE7n/v...