The One Word Film was the first project where we got to take what we learned about shots, composition, and editing and create a video that represented a random word, without using any dialogue. My partner and I were assigned the word “Anxious”, so we brainstormed ideas of anxiety inducing situations that occur in a school setting, as we would be shooting during class. We landed on a student being anxious about presenting a speech to the class. While brainstorming the events that could occur within the minute and 30 seconds, we decided that starting the film in the moments before entering the class, where the speech would take place, would be the best starting point to build the tension our subject would be feeling.
I particularly enjoyed the storyboarding process as we brainstormed ideas out loud and saw how they could fit in a sequence. This level of planning was really useful during the actual filming process because as we had already previsualized how the shots would look like, all we had to do was set up the camera and shoot a couple of takes. The editing process was fun to revisit, as I had experience with Adobe Premier Pro. I pulled from what I remembered in addition to searching up anything that would come to mind but didn't know how to achieve.
Overall, I believe the shots we were able to film and editing techniques used were done well and conveyed the anxious mood effectively. I chose to add a clock sound effect that grew faster, as seen in the green bars below. Also represented in the screenshot is how I used the razor tool to cut the clips into several segments. This created a faster pace that contributed to the anxiety inducing audio. While the the preparation and filming were done with a partner, the editing was done individually. This pushed us to take what we filmed together and make our own choices.
However, I would like to improve on the precision of some editing choices. For example, I wanted to include a match cut from a shot of a hand turning a doorknob to the girl walking into the room.
While I was able to flip and resize the second clip to line up the compositions, the end result was rough. Next time, I would film the shots with smoother and faster movements so that the transition is more seamless.
This is a link to the project




No comments:
Post a Comment