We are officially starting the portfolio opening project! The rest of my blog will follow my process in creating the film opening from brainstorming to final product and reflection. Although I have liked writing the other blog posts based on class projects and research, this new chapter of focusing on my own work definitely excites me. Because what I'm going to be writing about will center my interests and process, I can be more particular and specific compared to general lessons.
The main approaches we saw from the examples in class are to focus on character, setting, tone, conflict, or mystery, usually a combination. To try to ground my brainstorming, I am considering my limitations, such as actors and location. I already have some ideas of what I would like to do, but they are mostly random shots/topics i think would be interesting to include. One scene I had quickly storyboarded was very dialogue dependent and heavy on plot, but as I rewatch movie openings I like/were memorable, openings where the audience is slowly introduced to the main character through details can just as effectively establish tone and hint at plot. Still, a lot to think about. I'm taking this as an excuse to rewatch some favorites, for research. It is definitely cool to look back on openings with another lens and see how intentional choices are for the audience's first impression, as it can influence the rest of their experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment